Pages

Friday, 9 May 2014

How Copying Someone Else Helps Your Art Grow

This week I've had the pleasure of painting along with the lovely Danielle Donaldson in her online class creativeGIRL: the land of light and shadows. I followed my tried and tested formula for online classes as follows:

1. Copy exactly what the instructor offers for at least 2 projects.
2. Play with any materials they use that appeal to me in a non-structured/non-results orientated way in my journal.
3. Don't do any art for at least 24 hours.
4. Come back to my journal and use at least one of the techniques and one of the materials from the online class with the materials I love to use and a subject I love to paint.

This picture is the result. I think it might be my most favourite piece yet... and I can see lots of potential improvements.

Do you join online art classes? How do you make what you learn there your own?

4 comments:

  1. I think this may be the most balanced approach to an online class that I've read! Love that idea - especially the 24 waiting period for it to sink in and become more your own. Your piece is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment Michelle, I really appreciate it. And you are right about the 24 hour waiting period. That's where I make it my own I think. :-)

      Delete
  2. This is a great idea! copy art then let it sink in. I haven't tried any online classes but I think I might like to try. Lovely portrait. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment, I'm so glad you visited.

      Delete