Pages

Saturday, 19 April 2014

She Wore Flowers In Her Hair

I am an avid reader (when I'm not painting/creating) and this quote is from one of my favourite books - The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy.


At one point during the creating of this page my 4 year old son said to me 'Has a rainbow been sick in your book Mummy?'. Oh how I laughed... and got the gesso out!

I posted this in Joanne Sharpe's facebook group for her book 'The Art of Whimsical Lettering' because I was so pleased with the way the quote came out (and my courage to put it on the page!) and several people asked questions so, in case you have the same ones, I'll leave my answers here too.

1. The butterflies in the background come from the original paper. I used a piece of beautiful butterfly wrapping paper when hand making the journal this piece is in. When I gesso'd it to add inks and paints I only did so thinly over the edge of the page so the butterflies are still peeking through.
2. The skin tone on the girl is created by mixing a tiny bit of watercolour  (quinacrodone rust & quinacrodone rose)  with gesso and then shading with prismacolor pencils.
3. The flowers in her hair were created with a modelling paste stencil (after all the background and face had been completed) which I then brushed diluted watercolour over the top of.

Do you use quotes from your favourite books in your work? Or have a favourite recipe for skin tones you'd like to share?

10 comments:

  1. Fabulous job!! Love her, and your sons comment is priceless!! Love how your lettering turned out wonderfully yet it's your own style with Joannes influence! I am taking that lettering too...but you are a true inspiration!! Gorgeous work!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What lovely things to say Giggles. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  2. This is very pretty and springlike. The lettering is lovely too. Beautiful texture with the gesso flowers. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comments.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for letting us know how you created this pretty piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome Laura. I really enjoying sharing my work and process with others and love being inspired by other people doing the same.

      Delete