Pages

Thursday, 24 April 2014

Drawn to Flowers

Everywhere I look at the moment I'm seeing flowers. Despite the fact it is autumn here in the southern hemisphere and the days are getting colder. Or maybe because of that... sometimes the Australian summer is just too hot to do anything but wilt.

Hibiscus are out on full parade,beautiful white/pink/magenta camellias too. And those showy bird of paradise flowers. So tropical looking. So fabulously gaudy!

So I've been enjoying creating some floral inspired pieces in my art journal. Which I've actually completed the last page of today. I love that feeling. Especially when I've made the journal myself.

Back to the flowers though. Two very different pieces here. One illustrative in nature and one more abstract. I enjoyed creating them both.

The first one uses twinkling H2Os on an ink/stencil background that I've then added a quote from Matisse too. I used a black and white vector image of an hibiscus as inspiration for the flower shape. I find I try to make things too complex when I draw from life so while I'm learning how to simplify things this works as a great short-cut. I'll be using some techniques from this piece in my next video for Lulu Arts.


And this is my other more abstract piece. It's pure watercolour (except for a little pencil left over from the sketch) and the first time I've ever really used this medium on its own. I hope you can see it's inspired by Georgia O'Keefe and Danielle Donaldson - I will definitely be doing some more work like this again.

Because I was so afraid (!) of doing this piece badly I actually did it on the scrappy/messy back of my hand made journal (that's why those red spots are in the middle at the top). The process (of going slowly and leaving things to dry) is a long way from my usual 'slap it down and move on' methods but I really do love the transparency (see many previous posts) of watercolour and want to keep trying.

And I am not unhappy with this first result despite its many faults. :-)

Do you love watercolours? Do you have any tips to share? What's your favourite flower?


42 comments:

  1. I don't work much with water colors, but I do enjoy looking at what others do with them. Your flowers are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Lynn.

      Delete
  2. Love both of them, especially the quote!
    Happy PPF :)
    (no. 20 on list - I'm new!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Claire, and welcome to PPF. I'm off to go through the list once I've finished here!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful work, love the soft colours. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your beautiful comment.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful flowers, am a great fan of Georgia O'Keefe. Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Annette, I really like her soft colour palette and way of looking at things up close.

      Delete
  5. Love both of your pieces. The vibrant colours in the first one and the soft delicateness of the second one. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful comment.

      Delete
  6. Very beautiful artwork!! Thanks for sharing!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  7. Wow, so pretty! Super colors and designs. And very spring-like! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your super comment.

      Delete
  8. these are both so beautiful-nice job!! I've been playing more with watercolors but still prefer acrylics. And my favorite flower is the Oriental poppy. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Linda, I really love poppies too. Such a gorgeous rich colour!

      Delete
  9. they are so very different aren't they, the first is vibrant and clear lines, its beautiful an the second is soft and gentle in color and line, I love them both,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie, and yes, very different. I'm glad you like them both.

      Delete
  10. Love them both but my fav is the watercolors. I'm playing with watercolors but am in the beginning of learning. My fav flowers are the peonies, I hope to be able to paint some one day. Happy PPF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm learning with the watercolours too and ADORE peonies. They are my favourites too so I hope we both get to paint them!

      Delete
  11. I like both pieces very much. Like you I love to use splotches when I am doing watercolor painting. I love to paint lilies and put lots of splashes where all the dots on the petals are. I love so many flowers. Right now here in N America we have big pink tulip-like magnolias on the trees. I really must paint some soon.Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment - the splotches really add something I think. Magnolias would be lovely to paint in watercolours - all that white with different pale hues! I will add them to my idea list - thank you again.

      Delete
  12. These are beautiful. I love seeing water color paintings.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh! That top piece is so vibrant and visually engaging, and the bottom piece is so sort of soothing and soft. I love that you are equally comfortable working in both ways! (I certainly am not!) Both pieces look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still an explorer Ann so not comfortable either way but enjoying the journey very much! Thank you for your engaging comment.

      Delete
  14. Wow! I actually gasped when the hibiscus came into view on my screen. It is beyond gorgeous! I love the abstract too, but I am more of an illustrative type myself so I really, really love the hibiscus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your wow Faye, you've made my day!

      Delete
  15. Your work is really lovely! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Renee, the feeling is mutual. :-)

      Delete
  16. Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing these extraordinary flowers and your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your beautiful comment Joy, I really appreciate you taking the time.

      Delete
  17. Both of your flower paintings are awesome! I love the brighter colors in the first one and the softness of the second one. I love watercolors and do a lot of watercolors on top layers of paint sealed with soft gel medium. I enjoy moving the watercolor paint around and seeing what happens. Thank you for visiting me and leaving such a sweet comment. Your blog is great and I am now a new follower! Have a great PPF weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your awesome comments Rasz. I love your idea of moving watercolours around on soft gel medium and will have to give it a go. :-)

      Delete
  18. Your art is gorgeous, such beautiful flowery pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a gorgeous comment kat - thank you. :-)

      Delete
  19. Wonderful layering and colours! Happy fall! We are just starting spring in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renee - and happy spring, I'm sure you're looking forward to the warmer weather as much as I'm enjoying the (relative) coolness of autumn here.

      Delete
  20. Beautiful flowers. I agree, you can find flowers where ever you need to see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Erika, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

      Delete
  21. Both of these are exquisite, I couldn't possibly choose a favourite.
    I love the lovely painted background and the text on the first and the composition and beautiful painting on the second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind and generous comments Sheila, they're much appreciated.

      Delete