Pages

Thursday, 11 July 2013

Evolution

What started out as play in my journal became an act of homage to my wonderful Dad.

Doodle
I started off by doodling in my journal using a prismacolor pencil. I had some idea that I would want to paint over it and have the colour come through the paint but that was it. This doodle evolved from a video I watched on YouTube - Peter Draws.

Gesso & sprays















Then I added gesso through a stencil to make a resist and sprayed on some Dr Ph. Martin Bombay inks. They're permanent (I add them to my own spray bottles as the come in a bottle with a dropper) so don't reactivate with new layers. I was still thinking about painting on top of this and only wanted the doodle to come through, not the background colour. I left the piece to sit at this point and went off to make a to do list.

Pencil sketch
Which is where my Dad came to mind. It's his birthday this month and I want to send him something special. A light bulb moment. I would use my newly discovered drawing skills and send him a picture.  I would draw him!

This is my pencil sketch. I really like it but there is lots of competing texture/colour that makes it difficult to see some parts of the drawing.

Outlining
Outlining came next. But now the shading is lost and the outline too intense. Back to the drawing board - literally!







I decided that now would be a good time to experiment for the first time with cross hatching shading with a pen. And here's my finished piece.
My Dad
I'm going to send a print of it to my Dad and I think he'll love it but the best thing is that I learnt new and wonderful things about his face. Things that, despite knowing him for 45 years, I didn't know before. Lines for laughter, the shape of his eyes, what his ears are like. And by drawing him I am honouring him and his wonderful self. This is why I want to be able to make art. To honour people, objects, ideas and imaginings. What about you?


43 comments:

  1. amazing!

    xxx Susi
    from the monthly challenges for Art Journalers
    ART-JOURNAL-JOURNEY-CHALLENGE

    would be great to welcome you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susi, I'll definitely take a look.

      Delete
  2. This is absolutely gorgeous! I love the techniques you used. What a special gift it will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comments Yolanda. I hope he likes it!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful drawing of your Dad.. love the whimsical look of your doodle, delightful.
    Happy PPF
    Sandy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your wonderful comments Sandy.

      Delete
  4. Genial! a great and original creative work as! I loved it. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the drawing of your Dad and thank you for sharing the journey. Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Netty, thank you for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  6. This is so beautiful. Beautiful that you sketched your Dad and a beautiful result. He must be a great guy to have a wonderful daughter like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, I think he's the best!

      Delete
  7. Lovely work! Great texture and awesome portrait! It is indeed an honor that you could paint your Dad and he will love your gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely words Zafaran.

      Delete
  8. Fantastic portrait, and so true that you learn more about the person by drawing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Ayala, I think we learn more about everything we draw.

      Delete
  9. Lovely piece! He has such a great expression and the background is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a happy laughing man & really I wanted to capture that. Thanks for your lovely comments.

      Delete
  10. OMGosh you pulled that out beautifully. I try to stick to it too and it comes out entirely different. I love doing that. . . makes me proud of what I did when it does. When it doesn't, it's not a waste, b/c I have learned something. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment & read my post Janet.

      Delete
  11. This is amazing! Beautiful background and sketch. Your Dad sounds lovely and this will be a very befitting gift

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your sweet comments.

      Delete
  12. Wow! What a stunning page my lovely. I love how the background took on a life of it's own, soooooo beautiful. Your illustrations are amazing and I'm sure your dad will love it too and be so very proud of such a personal, heartfelt gift.
    Huge hugs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments Dawn, I really appreciate you reading through my post.

      Delete
  13. LOve this page. What a great drawings and I think the colored background suits it very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What nice comments Erika. Thanks so much for your kind words.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful drawing.
    Happy PPF, have a great weekend.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG kooky, this made me cry re now knowing things about your dad. it is the most fantastic sketch and the background is just stellar - beyond stellar if there is such a place. Thank you for showing and telling your process. It made me cry because mine went from perfect to a stroke and now doesn't know who I am. My experience is the exact opposite of yours and I am SOOOOO happy for you Kooky, for your experience of your Dad. Lavish it, love it - I think you do from how you wrote your post or at least that you are astonished by the new revelations of it. Kooky thanks so much for this post. I am feeling you are blessed and the crying is OK for me...truly. Lovies to you. Samara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a sweet, kind & sensitive soul Samara, thank you so much for sharing your story with me. I wish you, and your dad, peace & joy always.

      Delete
  16. Beautiful Art! I would never have thought to do a portrait this way, but it turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think to until I did it Tammy! Thank you so much for your comment.

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Glad you like and thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  18. Gorgeous! What a lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy, I hope he likes it too!

      Delete
  19. I love love love the final piece! I can't believe you're new to drawing, it's fantastic and so unique. I bet your Dad was thrilled with it! Thank you for popping by my blog, I've very much enjoyed looking through yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind & sweet comments Clare, I really appreciate you visiting too!

      Delete
  20. I love every stage... they are all seem equally awesome to me. Your dad will love it--he looks so happy the way you've drawn him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a happy man Paige, I am very blessed. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  21. What an amazing gift you've made for your dad! And I love the process--going to have to try this myself!

    Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete