Pages

Friday, 28 June 2013

Practice is Play is Practice

I continue to practice my 'real life' sketching along with my more imagination based work. It makes my art journal look less cohesive but more whole. I think I'm OK with that... for now.

My favourite thing about this drawing (in graphite) was that my nearly 4 year old son said 'That's me!' and laughed when he saw it. That felt so good. I am not a patient artist so my shading texture is not as smooth as I'd like and next time I will try the blending tool.

This little sprite came about when I was practicing drawing (the teapot shape) but found myself adding a cheeky face without realising. I used Neocolor II on a paper collage & acrylic paint background and looking at it makes me smile. I can think of a few more objects to add faces to in the future...








I hope you made someone smile with your art this week, especially yourself!

14 comments:

  1. Great that your young son knew it was him and liked it AND your teapot is so sweet and happy!
    peace,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet & happy comments Donna. :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh Kooky the sketch is really wonderful! when i read "practicing" i was surprised. i thought "mastering!" sketching is such an artform that many people are afraid of and you are majestically talented in this form. And the teapot. Awww. it is sweet and lovely! Wonderful post to see both. love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your praise & kind words Samara. Love & hugs to you too.

      Delete
  3. Lovely sketch of your son! I think your shading is excellent. It is the best compliment that your son recognized himself! And that teapot looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Zafaran, I really appreciate your lovely comments.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! Your faces here are wonderful, and I scrolled down a bit more and I am so inspired, and impressed, with your ning courses and play and practice!! I have to check some more! I love to do both realistic and abstract. I love color and pattern and creating from my own head, but I want to do portraits, faces, much better. I need to learn and practice watercolors...aaah, so much I want to do! I love your blog. Have a happy day, kath

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your wonderful comments Kathy, so glad to have inspired you.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for stopping byu blog. You are a very talented artist! Even your practice pieces are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tammy, that's a lovely thing to say!

      Delete