Pages

Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

Last week, after sketching quite a bit, I was disappointed in my ability to draw reality. I don't want to draw it all the time (if you read my blog you'll know this is true) but sometimes I want to put something in front of me and draw it as it is. To me.

Then I remembered a book I brought about 10 years ago that I started but never finished. 'The New Drawing in the Right Side of the Brain' by Betty Edwards. I got it out and vowed to work through every exercise to improve my realistic drawing skills.

As a 'here I am now' exercise she asks you to draw a self portrait (or selfie in 21st century) before you start the course.

This is mine.

At the time I drew it (16th June 2013) I thought it was quite good and felt fairly impressed with my skills...











This is my selfie from today.

3 days later.

Notice the difference?

If you want to improve your drawing and rendering skills I can't recommend this book highly enough. I'm off to draw another one. :-)

12 comments:

  1. This woman looks so serious and troubled, but I lvoe her. And the green detailing. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serious yes, troubled not so much now I can draw a little better! Thanks for your comments.

      Delete
  2. Very nice "selfies" both of them are, but the second one keeps me looking and I'd love to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Donna, I'm going to try to do a few faces of those I love each week and see how I get on.

      Delete
  3. Great facework. Thanks for sharing! --Sandy Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Without knowing it, you have sent me a powerful message! A few months ago I picked up a copy of Betty Edwards book out of a stack of free books. I brought it home, put it on the shelf and there it remained until last week when I rediscovered it an put beside my bed in the bed time reading pile. Then yesterday, I was reading Danny Gregory's book where he highly recommend this book.....today I read this! WOW, I'd better get reading. It is amazing how much may be inside of you and how a small nudge is all it takes to bring it out. Your second piece has so much emotion and feeling in it and looks very "arty", too. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a wonderful story and I'm so glad to have been part of the universe's message to you. I can't wait to see your work as you go through the book, I do hope you post!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful work! Thanks for passing on the info about the book. It sounds like something I would find useful as I too am wanting to make my faces more realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it comes to us all at some point Maricella, even if we then use those skills to move back into the world of our imagination. I hope you post your progress and thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful soulful rendition your 2nd attempt is, and though I don't think you look like that literally, I think figuratively you have done a magnificent self-portrait, Kooky. How wonderful that you are studying so assiduously at home. Your dedication is already paying off major dividends!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comments, I always love learning something new and the fact I get to create something and meet wonderful people like you in the process just adds to the joy.

      Delete