Pages

Thursday, 2 May 2013

Upturned Faces

If you read my blog regularly you'll know I really like drawing faces from my imagination. This week is no exception, not least because I've been learning a new pose on the Mermaid's Circus course.

This was my second attempt at the upturned face and uses coloured pencil for the face and the negative print from a Crafters Workshop stencil as the background.

My first attempt didn't go well but had a lightbulb moment when I realised it was because I was trying something new AND using art supplies I wasn't comfortable with. As soon as I switched to my favourites (Prismacolors) I found the whole process much easier and enjoyable.
And here's another upturned face which is more in what I'm starting to think of as 'my style'. I really like how much depth there is on this little moon fish and the patterns created in the background make me smile. Without meaning to I made shells and other beachy stuff. My poor little moon fish is washed up on a beach waiting for a wave to come and take him back to the ocean.










I hope you found time to try something new this week. I'd love to hear what it was and what you learned.

15 comments:

  1. Love your faces, and all the detail and texture on them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your faces are wonderful. I love your little moonfish. It is exciting when we can recognize our own style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. there is so much texture on these... love the upturned viewpoint as well.. adds a lot of interest...xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful upturned faces! It's great to keep learning new things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the upturned faces, great angle. I love those big pruple eyes too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that moonfish is adorable! Very interesting angle, you did really well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the effect of the stencil with the upturned face. Isn't it interesting how using a "known" technique with new ideas helps it all gel together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are fabulous and I especially love the top one!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely and sweet, your art is very original hook that girl has. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your little moonfish, they are both splendid. Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the colors you use...beautiful combination!! Love the moon fish! Great backgrounds too!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  12. a difficult post to capture...sweet little paintings! love them both...happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like your faces. I too draw mine from my imagination. It is fun isn't it?
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like drawing from my imagination too. Love both the faces, but the second face really speaks to me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good morning!
    I love your faces and the Colors. I am a face lover too and your faces with fishes are a great Inspiration :)
    Hugs
    Erika

    ReplyDelete