Pages

Friday, 5 April 2013

In Praise of Paint Party Friday

Last week I put a link to my weekly art journaling & creating post on the Paint Party Friday blog. There were over 100 links posted so I thought I'd just get lost in the multitude but at least have put my art out for someone else to see.

To my complete surprise I received over 50 visitors and nearly half of them left comments. Inspiring, encouraging and lovely comments. Most people took the time to point out the specific things they liked about my art too, rather than just leaving an ' I've visited' kind of comment.

I've been totally blown away by how kind, generous and simply nice this group of artists are. So thank you. To the organisers and to the participants.

Here's my first piece this week. I looked at all the lovely watercolour/gesso flowers everyone at Paint Party Friday had been doing, looked them up at the source Carla Sonheim and had a go myself. Along with a face of course. Then I wrote about how I feel all around the flowers.

I like the realism of this portrait but have been thinking my shading is very unadventurous and this just proved my point.





So I thought about whose shading and art I really admire that is far away from my work. And I remembered Mindy Lacefield and her kooky faces & creatures.  Next thing you know I'd signed up for 'Paint Your Story' and was learning all about her techniques.

This piece isn't finished yet but I've learnt so much already. And I'm looking forward to taking what I've learned about shading with acrylics and layering and using it in other pieces. Next time. :-)



14 comments:

  1. I agree that the artists of Paint Party Friday are incredible. They have been so kind and encouraging to me as well.

    I love both of your pieces. They are so different yet both seemed to speak to me. I liked the softness of the first painting yet enjoyed the bolder colors of the second piece as well. The eyes on the second painting definitely drew me in. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am new to PPF and found the same thing to be true. Love your freedom of expression here. So different and each has it's innocence. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm constantly amazed and inspired by the kind and supportive artists that I meet through PPF and on Flickr. It's such a beautiful thing. I really like how you used the flowers along with a face and made a journal entry, and the colors and layering in that second piece are divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like both of these paintings. Your flowers are fantastic and I love the colors in the second painting. I can't wait to see the finished product! You did a wonderful job on the faces. I have a terrible time with proportion so any time I do a face I have to grid it first, which seems like more of a chore than fun lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pieces, the flower girl is very vernal and feminine imo, and the "egg head" is very interesting and the background is awesome!
    The Paint Party Friday is great, very supportive! <<<<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liking both of your paintings, especially those wonderful flowers and am sure your wip is going to be great, already love that cutey face.
    Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay for adventurous! your first painting is lovely...but I can see quite a change with the strong colors in the second piece. learning new techniques is always good for your art. well done...and happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooooo, I love your Mindy face, so sweet! HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That moon is amazing original, looks alive. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know ppf is such a great group!! Glad you are enjoying it. It's fun finding your own tribe of like minded people!! Your art is lovely...the colors wonderful..and I can't wait to see how that awesome turquoise piece turns out!! Love Mindy too!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Mindy Lacefield's art - and I think you did a fabulous face with her technique. Carla Sonheim took away my fear of painting faces - her classes are so much fun! And that is what we should have when painting or creating any kind of art - fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely paintings kooky! The first one reminds me of candies.. and they all look so colorful and swirly like. keep it up with your learning because you are doing great! Can't wait to see your wip. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these flowers!! Kisses from Spain!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great art. I really like the faces.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete