Pages

Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Painting With My Son

My son is 3 years & 7 months old. He's never been interested in drawing or painting very much (he's a cars and wheels kind of guy despite my efforts to teach him about flowers/trees/the sky in his formative years). Until recently that is.

I think it's because his obsession with LEGO is paying off on the dexterity front and he can now manipulate a pen/brush etc. much more easily. But whatever the reason I am really enjoying making art with him. Suddenly he's asking to get out the paint/ink/crayons/pencils pretty much every day. Yet another thing about him that makes me heart burstingly happy.

We made this background together. Orange is his favourite colour (I love that). Those are his hand & finger prints. He just smooshed them on the ink pads without a thought and went to town with the stamps/paints too. And he really loved the using the brayer to spread the paint around.

The next day, after everything had dried, I asked him what he could see in the background and he said a parrot. He pointed out the beak, the wings & the tail and then asked me to paint it. So I did.

After adding some stencils (Crafters Workshop/Julie Fei-Fan Balzer) I gesso'd out the background and left the parrot with the background showing through.  I used Ranger's new Distress Acrylics for the parrot (the blending/distressing worked wonderful for the feathers), pencil for the branch and distress stains over the gesso for the background.

I think this might be my favourite piece from my art journals. It has so much meaning to me and that's - I think - what it's all about.

Do you have a favourite piece? Why is it your favourite?

10 comments:

  1. OK, now I get it. I have to rent me a 3 year old!!!! That background is fantastic and now I now the trick. It is 3 year olds that are the real experts in Mixed Media. Truly, I love the colors. And your Cockatiel (oh that is so wrong in the spelling) can I just say Parrot? It is gorgeous. The colors are wonderful. Lovies, Samara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments Samara. I think a 3 year old's wild abandon & lack of constraint can sometimes be just what you need in all parts of life. :-)

      Delete
  2. Art done with your own children is pretty awesome. That you have started to introduce and foster creativity with him at this young age is even more awesome. Children remind us of what it is like to look at the world through their eyes. The colors here are wonderful- the whole thing is wonderful. I recently did something like that with my daughter's drawing that she did when she was middle school age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, I really appreciate your comments. You are so right about introducing creativity young, I think it helps you feel you have control over your world and how you see it amongst other things.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! I can see why this is a favorite page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! Oh my! I am staring open mouthed! This is so beautiful! WOW! Your son is amazing! Love the painting, colors, and his wonderful imagination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comments Zafaran, I hope I can encourage him to continue seeing the world in such an imaginative way.

      Delete
  5. Beautifully done. You are making art with your child, but even more importantly, you are making memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Maricella, the memories are the really special bit. :-)

      Delete