Pages

Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Kelly Kilmer 10 Minute Art Challenge

I've been following Kelly Kilmer's blog for some time because I think her art journaling style, which is very different from mine, is just so lovely. It's feminine, rich, collage & lettering plus, beautifully designed and constantly takes my breath away. If you haven't seen it before, do take a look.

This week she's running a 10 minutes a day challenge so I thought I'd join in & try to learn something about her style as I went along.

I set my timer for 10 minutes and grabbed a bag of collage fodder from when I was trying (and failing thank goodness) to be Teesha Moore and came up with this.

The background is a premade 20cm x 20cm board covered with bits of junk papers (this definitely gave me a head start).
0 - 2 mins. The girl grabbed my attention from the bag of collage fodder & I glued her on straight away.
2- 8 mins. I wanted flowers. I had to hunt through my scrapbook papers for these, then cut them out and glue them on.
8-10 mins. I didn't like the bottom of the cut out girl but wasn't sure what to do then I noticed the word 'Ready' on the rest of the page she was on (that I was about to throw out) and that's where I am right now so I cut & stuck that too.

This page is far removed from my 'normal' style but it's also not. The colours are similar but paler. There's a face. There's writing. There's layers. There's lots going on in that background.

I like it and can't wait to see where I go with it tomorrow.

Thanks Kelly for inviting me to play along with you.

9 comments:

  1. OOH! Groovy! I can't wait to see more. Thank you for taking the challenge and for playing along!!!! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Your ten minutes produced beautiful results! Gorgeous page all-over, but I especially love the painted paper in the top left corner and those wonderful flowers that tie everything together so beautifully! I'm really amazed at what ten minutes worth of pleasure can produce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that painted paper too. There's something about the gold that just makes those colours pop! Thanks for your lovely comments.

      Delete
  3. I saw her 10 minute challenge today, as well. I might have to take this challenge as well. I like what you have done. And thanks for your kind comment on my blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you do, it's a lot of fun!

      Delete
  4. Wow! Love it. You really zoomed along. Fun how you've timed each step. Looking forward to more. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. It really is fun. DH asks what the timer is on for? I'm sure he thinks cookies are getting made....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm cookies! I liked marking where I was up to with each phase in the 10 minutes because I find it fascinating (and useful) to see what takes me a long time or a short time. Thanks for your kind comments.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your kind words on my blog! Blank white pages scare me so I took a new book and my distress stains on a car trip and just played with different colors to see how they would blend and covered a bunch of pages. I used one of my least favorite backgrounds so that if I did a terrible job on my face at least I wouldn't have ruined one I liked LOL. I love the color combination of your flowers it's one of my favorites!! Good luck with your challenge!!

    ReplyDelete