Pages

Tuesday, 12 February 2013

Week 5 2013 Project Life (The Process Post!)

As promised, here's how I put together my Project Life each week. I use a mixture of digital & the real stuff on my layouts but lately they've been very real stuff heavy so that's what my process reflects.

  1. Sketch the layout of the pockets you're going to use on a piece of paper. I find this really useful when looking through photos & thinking about stories. Sketching it cements the design in my brain so I can see the end result I'm trying to create right from the beginning. This layout has 8 pockets which are broken into 4 large vertical & 4 small horizontal.
  2. Go through my diary for the week to remind myself of stories/things that happened. I use an app on my iPhone. There are heaps around but my favourite is Day One. And their support is excellent. I did something stupid this week & they fixed it and were nice about it and had a bit of a laugh.
  3. Go through all my photos for the week on my PC/iPhone etc. to remind myself of things that happened.
  4. At this point the things I want to use are starting to come together. I still haven't decided where things will go or what exactly I'm going to say, but I have a rough idea.
  5. I open all the photos from the week in Photoshop.
  6. With the layout sketch in front of me, and making notes about positioning/content on it as I go, I decide which photos to use where on the layout. This is the longest part of the process but generally takes no more than 30 mins.
  7. Once I've decided what photos I'm using I choose a background. If you are using the kits this bit is super easy. I am using up my 12x12 paper stash at the minute. It makes it pretty easy too.
  8. I resize/crop/adjust the photos in Photoshop & then print them out on my inkjet printer at 300dpi. My printer is a cheap as chips Dell multifunction but it does the job great for me. At the minute I get all my photos for a week onto one piece of A4. Sometimes it takes two.
  9. Next I cut all the photos, cut the background (if I'm using one) to fit the pockets, and stick the photos in place.
  10. I date all my pockets, usually I add the day as well & the month has to go on something somewhere for each week.
  11. Last thing is journalling. I pretty much do it all by hand. If I have any digital journalling I add at step 8.
  12. Then cards in pockets and the week is complete.
All up it takes me around an hour to an hour & a half each Sunday. So worth it.

Do you do anything differently? Which bit takes you longest?


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. I've been thinking about Project Life for a little more than a year now, and am still not sure that it's something I want to do, but I LOVE looking at how everyone else is doing it! Maybe one day I'll get on the bandwagon, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like Project Life & the more I do it the more I want to do it so I would recommend the band wagon. However, it is time consuming (no matter what anyone says) and you can never ever get behind because it's pretty hard to catch up again! Holding the album in your hands is worth every second though... there is something magical about documenting the tiny bits of daily life. It's wonderful.

      Delete