Pages

Friday, 1 February 2013

Showgirl - Art Journal Every Day

Oh what fun I've been having in my journal recently. I've just about completed Jane Davenport's Supplies Me course and it has really helped me grow into my art, my art journal and as a person. As grow is my 'one little word' for 2013 this is pretty cool.

In particular it's given me heaps of confidence to paint from my imagination. I used to struggle with what to say in my journal but now I realise I just didn't think of things because I thought I couldn't translate them to paper. Does that make sense? I hope so!

Just so you can see how far I've come in the last 4 months here's a before & after shot. Can you see the difference? :-)
First face in my art journal (Oct 2012)
Latest art journal entry (Jan 2013)
In my latest piece I created the background by using clear gesso through a stencil then, when it was dry, I sprayed with a couple of colours of Glimmermist. I really like the effect it's produced, lots of depth without taking away from the painting.

What a wonderful journey we artists (I still gulp when I use that term...but I am determined!) are on. Are you enjoying the adventure? How far do you feel you have come?

6 comments:

  1. wow, I see a great improvement! there is no substitute for just constantly practicing...and your results are looking wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dianne, I'm glad you see it too! Practice is the key.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Dianne - you just have to do it! Isn't it encouraging to be able to see your progress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed Tracy, and it's so true that you just have to put in the practice.

      Delete
  3. The difference is huge! Changing flat portraits into realism. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Lindsay, I am inspired to keep on practicing.

      Delete