Pages

Friday, 18 January 2013

Turn Up - Art Journal Every Day

I made this art journal from scraps of watercolour & drawing paper I had lying around, using a simple 5 hole pamphlet stitch (some good visual instructions here) to bind it together. There are 6 sheets of various sized paper in it, making 11 double pages + the cover. I've also shaped some pages and folded edges in too making flaps for interest.  It's the first journal I've ever made, was surprisingly easy and I'm pretty chuffed with it.

The journal is for Jane Davenport's new online self study course, Frolicaholic which I think is really well priced and would be a great stepping stone to some of her other workshops, especially if you have already done Draw Happy. I love her work & style (teaching and art) so much I think I should be an ambassador or something. Not that she needs one.

I used distress stains & distress markers, pitt pens, different sharpies and prismacolor pencils. The quote says, "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so," and is from Shakespeare.

#The page is about feeling good about making art. I wrote all the negative things I feel about my art in distress markers on the right hand page then spritzed it with water and left it to spread/melt/dissipate into the paper and dry before writing good things over the top in permanent marker. I like the technique and will definitely use it again when I need to get stuff down to work it out.

Have you ever made your own journal? What did you use? How did you bind it together?

10 comments:

  1. love your journal page, so expressive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee, this journal is fast becoming my favourite, not least because I am really enjoying expressing myself.

      Delete
  2. Love the idea of spritzing out the negative thoughts with water. Nice journal spread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comments Maricella.

      Delete
  3. A very vibrant and colourful page. I love how you dissipated your negative thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you sweet comments Jackie, I like the distressed patterns that appear on the page making all that negativity so soft & diffuse.

      Delete
  4. Great page! I like the different sizes of paper in your journal. I've made my own journals because I like bookbinding and you can put in exactly what you want, whatever size you want and bound however you like. My last one was sewn signatures of 8.5 x 11in and covered in an old denim jacket so I could use the pockets for storage and the buttons as a closure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your last journal sounds amazing! I always feel so good when I recycle/re-purpose something, and yours is such a great idea. Thanks for your kind comments, and for answering my question.

      Delete
  5. ahhh loving that you got rid of negatives by writing xxxjust found you via the journalling linkup on Blazer Designs! now following as keen to see what you do next! come over and say hi, this blogger link probably will take you to my family blog, my art blog is here on wordpress xxxxxx http://janeggg.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Jane, your work is full or meaning and very creative. And what a warrior you are! Thanks for your lovely comments, they mean a lot to me

      Delete